Music

header ads

I didn't buy one because of the pixel camera

Pixel camera
The Pixel Camera

 I know I'm not the only one who wants manual camera control on the Pixel, but not many of us.

This is 2022 and the camera of the smartphone is better than before. While they may not yet be the perfect match for a DSLR, many Android phones and iPhones have more than capable point-and-shoot cameras that can often give you an amazing picture with minimal effort. Google's pixel line is always great at it. Although the Pixel doesn't always have the latest hardware, Google's software has helped the Pixel camera create day and night shots. None of this interested me though and until recently I was mostly stuck on LG smartphones. Why? Because LG has given me manual controls that allow me to adjust my images to fit. I consider myself a hobby videographer and smartphones have always been my main tool for making videos. I remember that when LG launched the V30 it had a lot of emphasis on its video features. You can download and apply different LUTs, and V30 LOG can capture video if you want to manage your own color correction and grading. The V30 also had a separate manual video and camera mode to give you more control over what you capture. I remember seeing the V30 launch and thinking, "LG made this phone for me!"

Manual camera modes kept me hooked on LG for so long. (Photo credit: Android Central) Fast-forward to 2022, and LG is no longer in the picture for smartphones. After finally dropping my LG G8 and LG Wing, I decided to switch to the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra because it also offers "Pro" manual photo and video mode. When Samsung phones gave me a nice off-ramp from LG, I never thought of buying Pixel. I've always heard that pixels don't handle video as well as images, but they don't have a manual mode to correct those video errors. However, the Pixel 6 series has made some changes with more powerful camera hardware for better images and it seems that Google has also improved its video capture for tensor chip and AI processing. However, Rita L. Khoury of the Android Authority regrets that the Pixel camera lacks manual photography, despite the hardware upgrade. Basically, we're at the mercy of what we think Pixel wants in a photo, but it doesn't always match what we want in a photo. Fortunately, the post has the option of capturing RAW images for later editing, but there is no option for video, which is my main concern. Don't get me wrong; I fully understand that this level of control is not for a Pixel Google wants you to be able to capture the best images or videos possible with the least effort, thanks to the amazing AI algorithms built into its camera system. Heck, when I want a quick and easy picture, I now reach for my Pixel 6 Pro (supplied for work) because I know I will probably get the best picture almost every time. The pixel camera is absolutely gorgeous. But come to Google, where is the harm in throwing one or two extra modes to give people like me the option of manual control? Not to mention, I think a deeper level of tweaking will really test the capabilities of Google's Pixel camera. I'm not asking for Sony Xperia Pro-1 level controls (though it would be nice), but more than what we have now, which is actually nothing. Unfortunately, that never happened, and I'm fine with that. As my colleague Jerry Hildenbrand points out, most people just want to focus on the essentials and that is good image quality. But I'm in a minority that doesn't really care. The Pixel is not a phone for me, for multiple reasons, and I'm happy with my Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, although I'm getting more and more attracted to Sony's Xperia lineup, which is really the "Pro" camera mode .. and thus is in the complete opposite spectrum of the Pixel. As I said before, smartphone cameras have a great place in terms of quality and power, and the Pixel camera can outperform many, if not most, of the best Android phones out there. However, I think there is still a way before it reaches DSLR image and video quality. Regardless of the size of the sensor, smartphones can help make a difference by adding these options in manual mode for amateur photographers / videographers like me who can't afford thousands for more sophisticated and dedicated camera gear.